Richard Falk, a human rights official, is employed and empowered by the United Nations. Falk is aggressively critical of Israel and takes every opportunity to proclaim his bias. Now Falk has run foul of the United States Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice. She called for Falk to be fired after remarks he made regarding the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In a blog Falk claimed there was an ‘apparent cover up’ by US authorities about the tragic attacks.
“In my view, Mr. Falk’s commentary is so noxious that it should finally be plain to all that he should no longer continue in his position on behalf of the U.N.” Rice said, describing his remarks as ‘deeply offensive.’
U.N. Watch joined the Falk critics and also called for his dismissal. U.N. Watch called him a ‘serial offender with zero credibility.
In his anti-Israel rants Falk has compared the treatment of Arabs in Gaza with they way Nazis treated the Jews in World War II.
Hillel Neuer writing for the National Post described the U.N. human rights as ‘hypocrites.’ The U.N. Human Rights Council includes Bangladesh, China, Cuba, Pakistan, Russia, Libya and Saudi Arabia. Most of them fail to reach even a basic standards of democracy.
Consider these items listed in the National Post report:
1. In total, the council has adopted some 50 resolutions that condemn countries. Of these, 35 have been on Israel — i.e. 70%. All have been one-sided condemnations that grant impunity to Hamas and Hezbollah, and to their state sponsor, the Islamic Republic of Iran.
2. Built into the council’s permanent agenda is a special item on Israel. No other country is singled out in this fashion.
3. Out of 10 special sessions that criticized countries, six were on Israel — and four for the rest of the world combined.
4. The council’s machinery of fact-finding missions exists almost solely to attack Israel. The most notorious example is the Goldstone Report, a travesty of justice that excoriated Israel and exonerated Hamas. This was not surprising given that the mission operated according to a prejudicial mandate, with a predetermined verdict, and with members such as Christine Chinkin, who declared Israel guilty in advance.
5. The council has a permanent investigator, Richard Falk, mandated to report on “Israel’s violation of the principles of international law.” Mr. Falk also happens to be one of the leading proponents of the conspiracy theory that the 9/11 terrorist attacks were an inside job, orchestrated by the U.S. government.
Kofi Annan warned of this situation years ago. The new council has fulfilled his concerns to the letter.
Australia, America, Great Britain continue to financially support the inept, corrupt United Nations operation. Is it any wonder the world has grown contemptuous of politicians who go with the flow, rather than seek to make a difference.